Candelin's Followers

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bookmarks

January is almost half gone, and has been rich and rewarding so far. I could ramble on about my plans for 2013, which are many.  I'd rather write about one of the little joys in my life.

Bookmarks - I get up early every morning to spend 45 minutes journaling and reading in a couple of spiritual texts. Companions in this quiet time are my bookmarks. Both gifts from loved ones, and I always smile to see them keeping my place, no matter what the day has in store for me.

For all of us who are embracing e-readers, and the wonderful democratization of publishing, we bemoan losses as well: the heft of a 900-page tome, being able to loan a favorite book to a friend, used book stores.  The list is long and can turn older book-lovers into Luddites if we allow ourselves to wallow. But even if all bound books disappear in my lifetime, I will hold onto these bookmarks. So my New Year's wish is that you have good company throughout 2013, and you look for joy in the simpler things that are with you every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment