Candelin's Followers

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

We Believe Art Changes Everything

You never know what you're going to bump into in a new city. Here I sit in the Home Page Cafe of the Free Library of Philadelphia. I'm in the library to hunt possible articles or photos of the early days of WFIL-TV, when my parents were involved in producing shows. I did uncover some good information, and sources for further research. First let me say that putting cafes inside public libraries was a smart move. So far I have lunched in the Ferguson Library in Stamford, CT; the Boston Public Library; and now the main branch of the Free Library. Fletcher Free Library in Burlington, I hope you follow this trend!

But what is inspiring me today are the art exhibits on the walls and display cases throughout this venerable building.

A giant boot welcomes you into the Photos and Images room on the 2d floor. Titled "Every Little Detail" by Gail Gaines, it honors the slave and Victorian quilting traditions while "celebrating the strength and depth of women's imagination and ingenuity in the face of great hardships."

A long gallery on the first floor hold 21 hand stitched flags from the Rosen collection of Asafo Military Flags of the Fante People on the coast of Ghana. Google them! You will learn about flag art in centuries of tribal rivalry, coded proverbs, and displays of prowess.

And back in the Photo room, this poster wraps on a stately column - I love its emphatic statement about the power of Art. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment